We feel the best way to ensure that you and your son or daughter have done everything they can to prepare for their time overseas is to make a quick checklist, which is basically a list of all the essentials that you will both need before the departure on what could be a truly life changing experience. From our experiences of travelling the world, we have a few ideas for you to include on your checklist:
- Make sure your son or daughter is aware of the laws, customs, visa and vaccination requirements and recommendations, and also recommended kit lists, for the destination(s) they are travelling to. There is a lot of information on the internet you can search for as well as check our what the Foreign and Commonwealth office suggest through their Travel Aware, Know Before You Go campaign.
- Make sure that flights and travel insurance are booked.
- Make sure that your son or daughter has sorted out their financing, and understands the various methods of payment which can be utilised in their destination(s). If using a bank card, ensure that they have informed the bank that they will be making transactions abroad, so that the bank does not see the international transactions as suspicious and freeze the card.
- Make sure you go through their travel route if they plan to be travelling around a country, or through multiple countries, and establish a method of communication and possibly an agreement on the frequency of communication.
- Ensure that your son or daughter has all the documentation they need, such as emergency phone numbers, travel documents, and has photocopies of all essential documents, such as their passport, visas, tickets and insurance policies.